Sunday, July 27, 2008

New Happy Taco

This place used to be an old favorite for my wife and I so it seems fitting this should be the inaugural post for this blog. Our "trial separation" is entering it's fourth week and I find that the only thing that brings a moderate amount of cheer into my life is a delicious pile of nachos. I don't know anymore. I really miss my wife.

Anyway, a trick with "New Happy Taco" which I forgot because my brain is filled with grief is to opt out of black beans and go for pinto beans instead. I know that sounds crazy. Black beans are usually considered the classier bean but trust me. The pinto beans at this place are very good and may help you forget your troubles for a moment or two. The black beans will only remind you of that one time you went to that bed and breakfast in upstate New York and you fought the entire time and then you accidentally dropped your wallet in a dumpster(Don't ask.)

So the nachos. The nachos here are pretty good and moderately priced at around 4-5 dollars a pile depending on what you get on them. I went with tofu today:

Photobucket


Let me be honest. I hate tofu on nachos. My wife loves it. I just wanted to pretend she was here with me for a minute. Usually, I'd suggest the chicken or steak.

The chips were good. They didn't taste stale and the crunch was spot on. The usual accouterments sat on top: Those offensive black beans, jalapenos, tomatoes, and melted cheese. Here is a close up shot for you perverts out there.
Photobucket

By the way, the tofu tasted like Chinese take out. Yes, Happy Taco is one of those places. Brooklyn sure does love Mexican restaurants that just "happen" to sit right next to a Chinese restaurant. Still, as these places go, it's pretty good. Plus it made my wife happy which is more than I can say for myself at this juncture.


General nacho taste: Photobucket

Tofu as a topping: Photobucket

My emotional well being: Photobucket

New Happy Taco
160 Park Place
Brooklyn, New York
(718) 622-8889

No comments: